Monday, January 30, 2017

Birthday Minions and Sewing, Sewing, Sewing!

Sometime around the middle of January, it occurred to me that the Minion quilt I'd put together for Brady at the summer retreat was still pin-basted.  Back then, I thought it would be a good goal to get it done by Halloween but that got away from me.  I managed to carve out some time to quilt it (simply) and then I secretly worked on the binding for the rest of the week while carefully concealing the surprise from him. 




He really likes it and it is the first quilt he has ever slept under.  He likes relaxing with quilts and building tents but he is a minimalist with the bedding.  I have the circles quilt I made for him a couple of years folded on the end of his bed but he has always said it is too hot.  Somehow the Minions and our coldest AZ weather yet have collided and now I sneak into his room every so often to see how content he is to sleep under it.


Since January usually means race day, I also pulled some fabrics for a jelly roll quilt.  I used up lots of odds and ends to make what will become a spring couch quilt for the desert.  The photo looks more yellow than beige but it is mostly greens, blue greens, beiges and grays.  I sewed the strips together then immediately started racing.  That was a long stretch in the sewing chair (close to 3 hours).  I don't recommend that plan.  I am happy with the way it turned out.  These days, anything that lowers the blood pressure is welcome in our house.





Also in the last few weeks, I pulled out last year's Quiltville mystery quilt and was pleasantly surprised to see how much progress I made last year at this time. You know, back when I thought I'd have nothing to do but sew because my sparse and spotless house was on the market?    I am using the same color scheme prescribed by the direction because it fits our home accessories.  I am hoping it may even end up on our bed.  Would you believe none of our beds have quilts on them?  I have about half of the blocks together so far.


So that I don't get confused with the mystery blocks, I am using the piano keys I cut a couple of retreats ago as sew-offs.  The piano keys will be the border for a vintage Friendship top (red and yellow improve 9 patches).


I've also managed to get all of the strips cut for the Midnight Flight that I started in a workshop in early January.


My exercise instructor was injured just before the holidays so I had to find a new weekly routine.  Also, Mike and Brady have been really immersed in Rock Band so both of those changes have helped me get back into a pretty significant sewing routine.  This time, I think it is going to stick.



4 comments:

  1. Hurrah......you are finding your sewing mojo! We sooooo missed you at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori, Dianne had told me that you started your blog again. It felt good to see you are getting back in the swing of things again. Love the jelly roll quilt you did. I'm glad you did one. It felt so odd to not have you participate this year. You were definitely missed, but I'm glad you will be here in a few weeks for the March retreat!!!I look forward to seeing you .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran! I definitely missed all of you! I have been doing a lot of sewing but mostly prepping things for March so I don't have to haul any unnecessary yardage. See you soon! Can't wait!

      Delete